Monday, February 8, 2021

You're Not George R.R. Martin - Hurry It Up



Look. We all know how it goes. January 1st rolls around and good intentions crop up. I only had three resolutions this year: walk four times a week, journal, and wear real pants.

These didn't last long. I walked twice so far this year, the journal is already collecting dust, and these leggings are soooo comfy. Just how it goes, I guess.

Something that was not a resolution is my commitment to finishing Book Three this year. It's not a resolution because it's not a new plan. I'm excited to report that I have gained momentum.

To give some background, I wrote the first draft of All From Dreams, More From Dreams, and Book Three basically all at the same time.

Then I went back and edited All From Dreams. Made changes (lots). Published.

Next, I edited More From Dreams. Made changes (even more than the first book). Published.

By the time I reached Book Three, I had made so many changes to the other books, the rough draft no longer made a lot of sense. I even cringed at some scenes.

I froze up. I loved the rough draft of Book Three. LOVED IT. And now I had to change it. A lot. I think I actually kind of mourned that draft. How can I change my baayyyybeeeee?????

No simple editing for this book (not that editing the others was actually simple). An entire rewrite would be needed. So I just shoved my butt in a chair and started. 

It didn't go well.

I hated the rewrite. I loathed the tone. I disliked my beloved characters - Rhys and Daeg felt lifeless and stoic. Something had to give, but I had no idea where to go from here. I want Book Three to sing. I want the readers to love it as much as I loved that first draft.

Finally, I scrapped the rewrite. It sucked, y'all. I won't lie. I decided what I had to do was figure out what I loved so much from the rough draft and determine if it could be saved, so I started an outline.

If you know me in real life, you know I kinda hate outlines. I'm typically a pantser. But when editing and rewriting, it becomes necessary for me.

That outline has become a godsend. Piecing together my favorite parts with new, fun ideas reinvigorated my love for Book Three, and genuine rewriting has begun. My characters are back in form, and my excitement for what's to come is burning once more.

Anyway, all of this is to help explain what is taking so long and to let readers know, this journey is not over. Rhys and Daeg have more adventures with new characters I hope you'll like as much as you like the royal couple.

Seodrass has more stories to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment